Greg was out of town this week for work so I was on my own for dinner. I usually take this opportunity to make meals with ingredients Greg doesn’t like–like mushrooms and blue cheese. After being out of town myself the previous week and several days of eating hot dogs, cheeseburgers, french fries, pie and s’mores, my body really wanted something clean and healthy, so I decided to go with this simple Greek salad. I made the dressing and and prepared the veggies at the beginning of the week, which made it easy to just grill a chicken breast and assemble my salad each night.
In addition to being tasty and healthy, this recipe is really flexible too. You could easily substitute steak for the chicken, or use a grilled portabello cap for a vegetarian option.
I made several changes to this recipe, but I’ve included a link to the original below so you can try it without my changes if you’d like. First of all, the original recipe had you add fried white potatoes to the salad, but white potatoes really aren’t very good for you, and the whole point of having a salad for dinner is to eat something healthy, so I left out the potatoes. Also the original recipe suggested adding the dressing to a skillet to warm it up for a bit before dressing the salad. I don’t mind warm meat on top of a salad, but I’d rather have my lettuce be cool and crisp so I skipped the dressing warming step.
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
From: Rachael Ray show
1 shallot, grated or minced
2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
1 lemon, juice and zest
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 sprig oregano, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
½ c. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
12-15 Kalamata olives, finely chopped
1 ½ boneless, skinless chicken breasts, OR flank, flat-iron, or sirloin steak OR Portobello mushrooms
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cubanelle pepper (Italian sweet pepper), chopped
1 large head romaine, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 c. feta crumbles
Pepperoncini, sliced for garnish
- In a small bowl combine the shallot, garlic, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, mustard, oregano and crushed red pepper. Stream in about 1/3 c. olive oil while whisking to emulsify. Stir in the olives.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the meat with olive oil and season with rosemary and salt. Cook on grill until golden brown and fully cooked. Let the meat rest for several minutes, then slice on an angle.
- While the meat is cooking heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper, season with salt, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl combine the romaine, tomatoes, sautéed onion and pepper, and dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad onto 4 plates and top each salad with grilled chicken. Top with crumbled feta and sliced pepperoncini.